Mustangs V Streatham Bruins today (15/11/09)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Invicta Mustangs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Squad Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvyn wrote:
Quote:
Mustangs were: Steven Grout (nm), Conor Sheehan (nm - did not ice), Matthew Drake, Richard Smith, Peter Beerling, Kevin Lake, Liam Watson, Peter Carey, Richard Myers, Thomas Dennis, James Fraser, Tomas Hiscock, Greg Hales, Damian Welch, Bradley Gutridge, Daniel Fudger, Harrison Lillis.

Development league?

Richard Smith, Liam Watson, Tom Dennis, Tom Hiscock, Harrison Lillis, Michael Stokes, Brad Gutteridge, Marvin McKenzie, Shaun Meaney, Mark Farrell and, until recently, Loyde Fuller are all young players who are developing very well thanks to the Mustangs and its combination of younger players who need developing and more experienced players who help them to do that. Glad you noticed Smile .
Andyp
Bench Warmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of which only 6(?) played on Sunday night? I fully agree that more experienced players are needed to bring the younger players along but for the past couple of seasons I think the balance has been too much in favour of the experienced players.
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyp wrote:
Of which only 6(?) played on Sunday night? I fully agree that more experienced players are needed to bring the younger players along but for the past couple of seasons I think the balance has been too much in favour of the experienced players.

Not wishing to delve too much into the political debate, but its not a farm/development team. In the Marauders days, when it reached the point where hardly any local players were being selected for the Bears (for whatever reason), the Team did its own thing - and was very successful too! Just means local kids strive to play for the "second" Team - nothing wrong in that. Sound familiar??
DLF
Squad Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I managed 1 of our junior teams & realised just how MUCH people give back to the Junior club! - During that season (and many seasons before and since) I've seen the amount of effort some people have put into developing young hockey players of the future (Tim named several of this years Mustangs) OR hockey players of now that just enjoy it! Naming those people will inevitably mean upsetting some I've forgotten so I won't! In that time I've been really fortunate to be able to visit Canada (mainly Toronto), many times with my son (who now plays for the Mustangs). On each and everyone of those visits he averaged around 30 hours ice time playing shinny with the locals (all free by the way and most of them would make the Dynamos!) which raised his level of performance. This has without any doubt developed him as a player - add to that the coaching at Invicta and he's a good all round individual too. For me it's about bringing on the "youngsters" in the development league but allowing them to train and play with a good core of senior and talented players. Putting too many youngsters in too quickly will just ruin their confidence, the team and the fan experience.
I'd say that the Mustangs (and the management team by default) are doing a great job at bringing on the "youngsters".
In the meantime - go ahead and grab the league title this season - you know we can!
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question mark over Sunday would have been the keeper - Steve is a good keeper and looks to be first choice from the games I have seen, so following a 15-0 win in Streatham and reaching 8-0 end of the first was it not an opportunity to throw in Conor or even Stu Long (who I believe is looking to play a few games)?
Tim
Squad Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyp wrote:

7 of the above 11 players played on Sunday (3 on first, 1 on second and 3 on third), 2 were/are injured, 1 was out of the country and 1 is now playing for the Dynamos.

This is the team's second season so they have had ONE previous season and the balance has been pretty much 50/50 between younger players and more experienced players. This works very well for all concerned Smile
swarb93
Squad Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See your point on the goalie Warren. But that's it.

I agree with Daz, this is a second senior team, and players can aspire to play in it, any age, nothing wrong in that. I've seen as much Junior Hockey here in recent years as anyone and know the Mustangs set up. For me, it's spot on.

They're competitive, because of the balance. yes, let's complain about a competitive Invicta Team with our Juniors in it, way to go!!!

To suggest or imply that Invicta Juniors are being denied roster spots is disingenuous. We don't have wave after wave of Juniors that are able to play senior Hockey, quite the opposite!!! Since the formation of the Mustangs, no eligible Junior player has been turned away. Far from it, lads who weren't ready have been trained and coached to that level, lads who had left, have come back.

I find it hard to believe people are complaining. Before the Mustangs there was nothing. Lets not go through the U19's debate as that wasn't our doing. There was only one possible, viable solution to the Junior - Senior step at Invicta and it's there in the form of the Mustangs.

It's easy to pick holes, but I can assure you, no one will be able to constructively suggest a better alternative and the current Coaching staff are the best qualified to be putting together the balanced roster required.
MikeT
All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing has been overlooked: last season there was no U18 team at the Ice Bowl, so anyone too old for U16s could only play for the Mustangs or a rec team if they wanted to continue playing hockey in Gillingham. I felt the Mustangs were there primarily to provide development and continuity for the U18s and - if they were lucky - to win a few games along the way. As it turned out, they won more than just a few, but Iím not sure that they set out in September 2008 with the express goal of winning the league.

This year we have a U18 team, which means that those players who are too old for U16s but not yet ready for senior hockey can continue to develop in junior hockey. Because we have the U18s again now, I think the Mustangs have a slightly different emphasis this season.

Having seen what last seasonís ED2 teams had to offer, the Mustangsí management have put together a team that is capable of winning the league this season. It is primarily a second senior team, but it is a team that also offers the chance for U18s and former rec players (for example, Fuller, Gutridge, McKenzie, Myers) to play senior hockey and develop their game. Success in development is that the U18s or former rec players should challenge for a place on the Dynamosí roster, just as Fuller has done.

To summarise, in my opinion:
- last yearís emphasis was: develop U18/rec players, and win a few games;
- this yearís emphasis is: win the league and develop U18s/rec players.

This is an extremely good set-up, and one that other clubs are trying to emulate. Streatham are trying it this year (but their efforts have been undermined by all sorts of other circumstances in their Club that have affected the Redskins, too). Oxford have said that they are considering running D2 team next year.
Andyp
Bench Warmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't really a complaint as such and the Mustangs do a fantastic job in developing players. I just felt that maybe there could be 2/3 more younger players in the team, particularly for what would be considered an "easier" game. If the players aren't there to step up when some of the others aren't available then fair enough but I don't know enough about the current U18s to comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Invicta Mustangs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: