06/07 squad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev
All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: 06/07 squad Reply with quote

Now that the squad is shaping up for the coming season, I was wondering what the general feeling was to the team
Lee
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Team is looking good for the new season. Great signing in Anthony Leone and we have we seem to have replaced the departing players in attack very well with the signing of Jordy Black today who i hope turns out to be as good as he sounds and the return of Humey and Jamie Smith.
My only concern is we appear to be slightly short on Defence. We have 2 lines of D in Korffy , Damo Welch , Alex Shaw and Tony Lennon which is great but for the third and as it's looking the fourth line are we going to play Grant or maybe Jamie Smith who if i remember can also play D and mix and match with the 2 line defenders???
I've also heard rumours that James Lake may not be returning which deepens this somewhat.
I'll feel much better if or when Andy Smiths name is confirmed as returning. He is our Thierry Henry. Not only scores goals for fun but makes them also. He would god forbid be a major loss.......
luke
Squad Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what Lee's said really. We look very good up front- Leone will be a good player in our league, and having Jamie Smith back gives us a new dimension as he will go to the net.

We do very much seem to be lacking on the D front. I hope though we've got some signings waiting to be announced. It'd be good to have 6 natural d-men.

I'm very excited about the new season. Other teams have stengthened, and hopefully it'll be a well contested league this season.
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all singing off the same hymn sheet. With the addition of Jordy Black we should have enough firepower up front and IF we get Andy Smith we will blow teams away. DEFENSE though is another matter, with only four recognised D-men. Grant can play there if needed and against other teams third lines we can put in one or two of the youngsters.
With no EPL cup this year I cannot really see anything but another year of wall to wall victories. This sounds great but I think that most people are a little tired of double figure tonkings - even if we are doing the tonking!
I just hope that the likes of MKT, Cardiff and Swindon give us a challenge.
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously like to play Grant Baxter in d for the whole season.. we have a lot of forwards and not a lot of D men... maybe there are some players to be announced still...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Players Reply with quote

Any news on Rider? He can play Defence too you know....[/b]
easy10
Bench Warmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think rider has gone with bob?
Kian#26

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Warren. I think Bax should play D this season since we seem to be lacking D-men. He plays well in this position and takes to the role naturally when called upon.
Also good to see Jamie Smith back on the team. He is a good all rounder who's not afraid to go to the net.
quoththeraven
Squad Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good to see Jamie back on the team. I've always thought his contributions on the ice were underappreciated, as he would draw a lot of penalties from overzealous defencemen, and will probably draw even more if the NHL clampdown on d-men in front of the net filters through.
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quoththeraven wrote:
Definitely good to see Jamie back on the team. I've always thought his contributions on the ice were underappreciated, as he would draw a lot of penalties from overzealous defencemen, and will probably draw even more if the NHL clampdown on d-men in front of the net filters through.

Good call, Jamie was always the one on the ice that stirs things up then gets off! I would expect if stats were kept that he drew more pens on the opposition than any other player.
I would be tempted to put him on the Power Play and stick him in front of the net. How many 5 on 3's will we get? Jamie may also need some annointment for all those bruises too!
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new rules coming in this season Jamie (and other fast players like Hume, Smithx2 and Black, possibly) will draw a lot of penalties... on the flip side, our D need to ensure they don't give as many away.

Roman Scuzs said at a recent rec game that any use of the stick on a player without the puck will draw a penalty -- if below the waist then 2 mins, above the waist an automatic 5+game. Dean Russell-Samways said the same -- will be very interesting to see how these rules are applied!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warren wrote:
With the new rules coming in this season Jamie (and other fast players like Hume, Smithx2 and Black, possibly) will draw a lot of penalties... on the flip side, our D need to ensure they don't give as many away.

Roman Scuzs said at a recent rec game that any use of the stick on a player without the puck will draw a penalty -- if below the waist then 2 mins, above the waist an automatic 5+game. Dean Russell-Samways said the same -- will be very interesting to see how these rules are applied!

Yes interesting indeed. Last year in the NHL it was extremely frustrating in the beginning - especially if you supported a team that kept getting called. By the end of the season the hockey was fast and really good. 5+Game is a bit tough though...
quoththeraven
Squad Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warren wrote:
Roman Szuc said at a recent rec game that any use of the stick on a player without the puck will draw a penalty -- if below the waist then 2 mins, above the waist an automatic 5+game. Dean Russell-Samways said the same -- will be very interesting to see how these rules are applied!

The main problem I think officials have had is that they just don't see things. So much happens to the player with the puck that they often don't see things behind the play.

With such a discrepancy between the two penalties I think the new rules will be open to interpretation from the players - if someone gets a slash on the hip that the referee doesn't see what odds on him saying it was below the waist rather than saying it was in the stomach and earning the offender an OTT 5+G. I'm not saying all players are dishonest just that in all sports there are some who will try to take advantage of every opportunity.

Also is this just for deliberate striking of another player or does it include accidents too (i.e. like "accidental high sticks", a 2+2)?
Lisa, Jay & Ellie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what was already said about the 06/07 team however, after watching last weeks game i felt we really did miss one player who has not re-signed. Low! lowy always gives 110% and really felt we lacked his umph last week. Other than that the team seem to have bonded well with their new team mates and wow jordy is excellent. What more can we say.
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, last weeks game was great - best in 2 or 3 years for entertainment value and it was great to see Grant Baxter playing on D and being effective.

Secondly, as much as I like Stu Low I have got to ask whether we are not going to have too many people on the roster?? OK, purely on numbers we can get him in but then who gets bumped down a line... and by moving out of the top two lines (and in all likelihood the PP and PK lines) how much ice time will they get?

We have... AJ, Andy, Peter, Jordy, Paul, Jamie, Kev, Karl, Matt, Martin, James, Anthony.... thats four lines without Grant Baxter. Who goes? (maybe on D rather than out the door but there would have to be significant changes to accomodate Lowy..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: