Mustangs V Swindon 28/02/2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Invicta Mustangs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLF
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Mustangs V Swindon 28/02/2010 Reply with quote

Really disappointed that the guys lost.
Some strange line changes that I don't think helped and at times a little sloppy play costing too many goals.
Jamie Smith; my usual view is that this guy is a liability (despite his obvious skill) but this game he played perfectly. He was a pest (a la Vezio Sacratini in the Cardiff Devils Superleague days) but his efforts generally supported his team- this season would've been better with that play consistently.
It's sad that The Mustangs won't win the league now (barring some strange scores) but lots of evidence that the developing players will come through given the ice time.
Bad luck guys but all the best for the rest of the season and next
FTG 71
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Jamie Smith!!!! He is a joy to watch Very Happy The Mustangs were deffo missing something up front tonight. Such a shame Crying or Very sad Missed Liam playing - although he did get a bit of ice-time. IMO my man of the match was deffo No.10 - dont know his name but he was awesome and didnt give up all game
MikeT
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It finished Mustangs 4 - 5 Swindon.

Four goals conceded in the first period did the damage, but the Mustangs fought back well and might have nicked the draw. It was a very entertaining game, though, despite the result!

MoM for me was #10 Pete Beerling. Laurence Billing got 1+2, and would have had more if he could shoot straight. Laughing

Swindon are a good side with some good, fast young talent. If they can keep the team together next season and supplement it with a few more of the same and maybe a couple of experienced, older guys then they'll be worth watching in D1 (assuming they get promoted).

Last edited by MikeT on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the teams swapped goalies we would have won comfortably. Having said that our D hung Grouty out to dry several times. Pretty evenly matched sides, though I felt we should have been more physical with Swindon's smaller and younger team and if we had given Clark (22) a really tough time it would have stopped his passing out of D that caused us no end of problems.

If swindon take that team into ENL1 they will, IMHO,get completely trounced. Similarly, so would the Mustangs. There is a massive difference between ENL1 and 2. For me, I would like to see the Mustangs being competitive but not going up which I think will happen.
MikeT
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Swindon looked better than Haringey, Pboro, MKT and Streatham (as they were when we played them early on - they've improved since).

With the strengthening I suggested that would put them mid-table.

This is all hypothetical, of course.
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the game (just not the admission fee!! Laughing ). A few costly mistakes, and some not at 100%, but with some better finishing it was there for the taking. I think there was 1 or 2 missing, including Stokesy & Welch, so not all that bad. The issue re ENL 1 and 2 is an interesting one, but very hard to make a comparison - Boike and Vas?? The likes of Beerling, Lake, Carey, Smithy, Billing, could still play ENL 1 comfortably, with Fraser, Fudger and Dennis not far away.

The Coach is one of the best, so I'm sure any changes to lines were for a reason.
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EIHA website says 3-5. With goal difference and scores between Teams being important, I'd be getting that changed!
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT wrote:
I thought Swindon looked better than Haringey, Pboro, MKT and Streatham (as they were when we played them early on - they've improved since).

With the strengthening I suggested that would put them mid-table.

This is all hypothetical, of course.

Disagree with you on this Mike, Swindon are a young side with bags of potential, but up against a nettie like Joe White I dont think they would have scored and their D would have been terrified at seeing Vas, Andy and Nicky Lewis coming at them. If they go up and dont strengthen, big time, I would doubt if they could get any points at all.
MikeT
All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you disagreeing with me, Crackers. Laughing

In my first post I said they need to supplement their squad and in the second I said strengthen it (which is really what I meant in the first one).

What I was thinking is that Swindon might follow your master plan for Romford and move to ENL. Unlike Romford, Swindon will have a team in D1 - provided the D2 team we saw on Sunday wins promotion.

EPL teams seem to run with a slightly smaller roster than a lot of ENL teams, and several of them are imports. It looks as if Swindon EPL currently have 16 players on their roster, of which Kraijicek, Kohut, Danilics and Cassels are imports. Letís assume those imports wouldnít be part of an ENL D1 team and that five of the remaining Brits retire or donít want to play ENL so go to other EPL teams or to the EIHL (for instance, Bullas).

That leaves seven players with EPL experience who want to play in Swindon for whatever reason and will go into the ENL D1 team. Add into the mix the possibility of a locally based import or two (perhaps ex-EPL, but with work commitments), and the odd student drifting down from the North or Midlands (like Bullas again) and you have a decent ENL D1 team.

That was my thinking, but it relies heavily on Swindon buying into The Crackers Plan (!) and strengthening.

On the other hand, they could run with more or less the same squad as this season and risk getting stuffed every week, as you suggest.
Stoke Fan
Squad Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackers wrote:
.... I felt we should have been more physical with Swindon's smaller and younger team and if we had given Clark (22) a really tough time it would have stopped his passing out of D that caused us no end of problems.

Careful boys - sounds as if you are advocating a game plan suspiciously like the Devils' and surely that can't be the right way to win games .... or can it? Laughing
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Mike, I think I am disagreeing with myself now as I agree with your plan. If they take the team from Sunday and add in half a dozen experienced EPL players plus 2 imports, yup, they will be decent. No doubt of that and as for Stokefan, I will have to change my comments as I cant find myself agreeing with you even if you make sense! Laughing
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Game Photo's Reply with quote

The photo's from the Mustangs game against Swindon can be found HERE

Purchase Dynamos, Mustangs & Juniors Photo's online at - icyphotography.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Invicta Mustangs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: