Invicta is missing a physical element ??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Invicta is missing a physical element ?????? Reply with quote

Wasn`t at either of the two games at the weekend but it seems that there were game changing spells in both games which might not have occurred had the Dynamos team included a Wiggins type (note - Type) player on the bench.

That kind of player can achieve a lot by simply just being there, it doesn`t necessarily convert into a fight filled game. Its an equaliser, neutraliser, protection measure which Does work.

This is where i ask Mike and myself for a comment.

"Well Don, I agree with you absolutely, it would have left Ozzie and Fowler to get on with their primary functions - scoring goals. Who would you like to see on the Invicta roster to beef things up a bit then Don" ???

"Umm, i`d like to see that chap from London Raiders - Mason Webster is the gentleman`s name i believe"

"Good call"

Any other suggestions out there ........................................................................................................................................
broomwagon
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelmo, of course, now has the Phillips sisters on their roster - a little hypocritically, given their assertions after THAT game against Romford Raiders that they would never have them or welcome them. Still, people have short memories, eh? Chelmo have always traditionally relied on speed and agility to do their talking but maybe they feel this season they needed to have some muscle on roster, as an extra resource, to help in their title campaign.

Like you, and only under the most extreme of circumstances, I could not attend yesterday's match, but followed the Twitter-sphere closely - it made for exciting reading. I've no doubt that the boys put up a sterling performance and did their best - which is all we can ask for.

I'll be there for the next home match.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chelmo has a more physical roster than it did a couple of years back. And it seems that this element, which, to be fair, is but one part of their multi-faceted squad, was put to good effect in overturning a come from behind win at Invicta.
broomwagon
Squad Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments were made that for the first period of the match, Chelmo simply tried to goon-it-up - whereas the Mos concentrated and played their style of hockey - the result of which was a 3-Nil lead at the end of the first period.
After that, Chelmo started playing their usual style of game, and the result was a comeback. It has been my observation, over the years, that the matches between us and Chelmo have always been fast and furious but have been relatively clean - I'd like that to continue.
However, one cannot avoid the elephant in the room, which is that last week's results makes it unlikely that we can overturn Chelmo's current grip on the league.
Still, there's always the cup competition and play-offs to look forward to, and with our squad, the play-offs ought to provide a real opportunity for our lads to shine.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi broomwagon, yes it`s true that games between the Mos and Chelmo have always been good fast, entertaining affairs and I take your point about the penalties in Sunday`s game, which, looking at the stats, were mostly given up in the first period.

However, you don`t have to take penalties to play a rough, tough, physical game, you just have to have the kind of guys that can play that style in a manner that stops the opposition from executing their preferred game plan. It was this point that I was alluding to in saying that Chelmo are multi-faceted.

Invicta has great speed and some quality players, no doubt about that, but i don`t believe they are, at this time, as mutli-faceted a team as Chelmsford.
rats
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true we do lack a Wiggins type character, a true heavyweight, also Wiggin is player I rate as a player, not his gooning it up self we have seen this season.

But we do have a lot of good middleweights, Straws, Harry, Brad, Baxt, Jack, Dewey who will all drop them if they need to.

I'd like to have McGrath, a guy who can play well but also has the extra toughness to take on a Wiggins or Cornish if they start taking liberties.

Problem is, these guys are on more money than some imports
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rats, my goodness it seems like we have a conversation going on here, just waiting for Mike to pop up again !

Yep, agree with your comments and I have also made similar comment about the likes of McGrath, though i have no idea about what sort of cost would be involved.

One heavyweight guy in the line-up would add that little extra and give the coach another dimension if/when it was felt appropriate.

I have been watching the Northern NIHL1 for the past few months and there are certainly some young heavyweights around. In some cases i`d be surprised if they cost large amounts,though i must say that some of those guys are far from first-line players !!

As a matter of interest do you think that someone similar to Mason Webster would be a good catch for an ambitious team looking to add some "presence" ?
grant_w
All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of times over the weekend I saw our players get hit or digged in the legs in back play and I thought to myself "why don't ours do that". We are just too nice most of the time. We just don't hit at all.
Mos Fan
Squad Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've certainly lacked the enforcement side of things this season, I would'nt say Webster was a good catch for being an enforcement, rather have Lack back who provided it along with being a good player and entertaining - was so gutted when he left. Anyways, we have bit our lips and gone with what we have had and done well in most areas except one, the physical side. This needs thinking about for next season as I think otherwise we will lose games, hence lose crowds. Im sure the management are more than likely on the case of setting up for next season, but until then, lets keep behind the boys and win the play offs.
rats
All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Webster and he would be a good pick up, good enough for a regular shift, probably on the third.

As for Lack, your always going t be concerned that he would jump ship for the EPL and would cost import money, but does not have the skill set to get those wages IMO.

Webster would be a third or a quarter of what Lack would cost. Don't get me wrong, Lack is a very good fighter but would get destroyed by Wiggins and Cornish just because of the size difference, yeah Lack is strong but Wiggins and Cornish are equally strong.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see your comments on Webster rats and, in particular, that you feel he`d be a good pick up.

Must say, that when I`ve seen him play, and i`ll admit that`s not often, I`ve thought that he`d be a good fit with the Mos. Tough, good skater, gets in to the "inhospitable" areas, capable of getting points and he seems to have a fearless disposition. Like Mos fan I like Lack too (who wouldn`t want him on their team) but reckon that in terms of actual value and affordability, Mason Webster would be an ideal pick-up.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to my original post...............

NOT NOW

Well done to the Mos management as the team put together is now a broader mix and has a good thread of steel running through it; Invicta is unlikely to get pushed around this season !
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team looks good to me; may even make a game early season! Laughing Basky's a good signing too; lots of energy and speed. Import forward should be an upgrade, interesting times ahead.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Daz, I`ll be heading south to see the Mos at the Ice Bowl in October, really looking forward to that.

Meantime i`ll watch some Blackburn games; they have just signed a couple of good Brit EPL players and have two new quality Scandinavian forwards. I think the NIHL North is following in foot steps of NIHLS in becoming a stronger and more competitive league.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: