How to dry plexi glass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: How to dry plexi glass Reply with quote

Comedy tonight watching various people trying to dry plexi glass with a squeege. Squeege's act like windscreen wipers on a car. They move standing water not de mist glass.
To clear the plexi all thats needed is a cloth that absorbs water. A sponge would have been enough.
I know this seems like a nag but i must not be the only one who was annoyed by not being able to watch the game tonight
It's not anyone to do with the Mo's fault and neither is it the fault of the rink staff. You can't help humidity in the air. Maybe a large de-humidifier is needed this time of the season to prevent this from happening
Could be worse next weekend. Warmer weather is forcast.
luke
Squad Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say even we on the other side had a bit of steamed up plexi on the top of a couple of the sheets, luckily we could see most of the game though. Walked over to chat with Lee during one on the breaks, and it was a wonder they could see anything! Perhaps some pressure can be put on the rink?
grant_w
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't see a thing from my seat, might as well have not been there, moved to stand at the end behind the goal for the 2nd and 3rd periods so I could actually see some of the game rather than see a red and white blobs go past every now and then Evil or Very Mad
Kian#26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we arrived, we could barely see the ice pad, but it cleared up a lot during the warm up. There were patches that kept reappearing throughout the game, but as Luke said, you could see most of the match from our side of the rink.
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, being a diplomat this is often a problem with rinks this time of the year and is not something that is unique to our rink. The Ice Bowl has installed a new De-Humidifier and some air blowers and generally speaking these have helped. Unfortunatly Sunday was warmer than the last few days and what with more people in the rink it was all a bad combination.

I think Grant had the best suggestion to move arround to somewhere that you could see, not ideal but making the best of the situation.

Dave T
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave T (Webmaster) wrote:
Guys, being a diplomat this is often a problem with rinks this time of the year and is not something that is unique to our rink.

Basingstoke was fogged up really badly on Saturday as well, so I think Dave is right. Having said that it isn't a good excuse, if you are paying money to watch a game then you should be able to see it. Hopefully next Sunday will be ok....
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Rec game in early August in Milton Keynes and we struggled to see from the centre line to the goal. All the plexi was fogged up, luckly no one else was watching us play !!

I guess though is is possible to invest in lots of dehumidifier equipments it's a cost v's benifit thing. Major investment to solve a possible problem depending on weather conditions for a couple of months of the year. The investment could be made but someone has to pay for it and ultimately that comes back to the paying public, be it public skaters, figure skaters of hockey.

I personally think that the staff at the rink did the best they could in the situation with the condesation on the glass.

Dave T
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, I noticed that the fire doors were open in a few places and that cannot be good for the de-humidifier (air con is less effective with the windows open so I am assuming this is the same principle)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grant_w
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the annoying thing was in the warm up, a player wiped a bit of the glass and throughout the game this bit stayed clear as a bell
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant - I love the bit about Players wiping the plexi pre-game. Maybe they should all do it!!!

The cheapest way to solve it is to open all the fire exit doors around lunchtime. The temperatures in/out the rink become pretty much the same, job done. Problem is, it would mean getting every door "manned", and a lot of people would be session skating for free beforehand..... Cool
ddcdj
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said daz, you seem to know what your talking about you have obviously read this http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink4.htm
even the pros have problems and even the NHL players moan about it
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes an interesting read, the DVD for the outside NHL game has a documentry about how they made a NHL rink. It's quite interesting if you want to see it in the flesh Shocked (anorak engaged !!)
Lee
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to have drifted away from the main point of the thread somewhat.
We all know it's the humidity this time of year that does it and we have no control over it. Main point is during the game it started to clear due to players body heat and wind skating around. By the end of the 3rd it wasn't that bad. Bit late then.
Which means if it were clear at the start of the game it wouldn't mist up again during it.
All it needs is 10 -15 minutes after public skating for a member of rink staff to go around all the plexi with a cloth ( Not a squeege ) and dry all the panels. Problem sorted
starburst ltd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Plexi glass and mist Reply with quote

We would note that there have been a number of comments with regard to the plexi glass being misted up - unfortunately, and it is always the way having spent £15,000 on a brand new De Humidifier.
It would appear that a number of unfortunate events took place. Firstly a hockey spectator seated near the De Humidifier, because of the noise emitted decided to turn it off!! This was further compounded by hockey spectators deciding to open and leave the emergency exit doors open in order to smoke before, during and after the game!!Thus allowing hot air into the rink to meet cold air from the ice - hence raising the humidity!!
Therefore the cure is your hands.
Patric
quoththeraven
Squad Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes and no. There were employees outside smoking during one break. It may have been foggy but I could definitely make out a couple of Ice Bowl orange t-shirts.

Also surely the rink and its management must take some responsibility for its property? I know that we as patrons should behave in a mature and responsible way, but it is also the responsibility of the rink to maintain its property in such a way as to maximise the enjoyment of the patrons. If someone had turned the dehumidifier off, could the rink not have turned it back on and explained to the fan in question why this was an important piece of equipment?

While I commend the Ice Bowl for its non-smoking policy in all parts of the building, surely this is the main reason why the doors are opened, and I'm sure you know the fairest way to solve this problem.

To say the cure is in our hands is true, but it is in the rink management's hands too. I'm not saying that just so I can point the finger as well, I'm trying to be constructive and suggest to you that rather than simply blaming the fans and players for the poor viewing conditions, the Ice Bowl and its staff could work with the fans to improve things.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Mo's Matters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: