hockey fix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Hockey Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, your ability should not decide whether you play checking or NON-CHECKING. I've watched/played against Teams where some guys can barely skate, yet still give it a go. The (reasonably) sensible and more experienced players would recognise someones ability, and its doubtful that a guy with no direction would get run over - in fact it's the opposite way round, everyone loves to hit the Superstars!!

Having watched and played against the Madness the past couple of seasons, there is no reason why you shouldn't be playing Checking Hockey now. The Players are strong enough, and to be honest, your Team is good enough. Scorelines don't always give the full picture - when we played you, we put the puck in the net more than you did, thats all. Has nothing to do with ability really - our goalie played well, yours didn't have a great game, its that simple.

Peterborough beat us 8-3 away, in a very physical encounter, with a few ringers - one of which was an Elite League Player. They were very good, and 2 of our goals came from Pete Murtola and Ben "Posh" Fitzsimons - so that shows it was more about a Team performance, with the usual "never say die" spirit. P'boro didn't have the ringers yesterday (don't forget they supply players to 3 Rec Teams, checking and non-checking - of various abilities), so the final score reflects on what they're really about. Game could've gone either way, but the spirit pulled us through - or did we just take the foot off to make it more interesting for the fans??? Laughing Laughing
wraparound
Bench Warmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy oh you guys make me laugh Very Happy
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - I let this thread run in the Mo's forum despite it not really being a Dynamos topic. Everyone is entitled to a choice and opinions will often differ. Knights play checking hockey, Madness do not, it does not make either team more worthy than the next. Both teams are happy with their choice so what is the big deal ?

It's simply a matter of choice. Incidently 25% of games currently listed on the Rec Section website are listed as Non Checking

I'm moving the thread to Hockey Central so discussion can continue but please make the postings relevent or I will have to close the tread.

Purchase Dynamos, Mustangs & Juniors Photo's online at - icyphotography.co.uk
rats
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie Y is a legend, dont forget he now has bionic legs!!!! Go on the wings!!

Dave T, the knights are part of the Dynamos Ice hockey club, I feel this discussion should stay where it is, no-one is being aggressive or rude, just a healthy discussion.

The other argument with NON-CHECKING hockey is that it can be more sticky, I know in the last season Ive had about 4 or 5 sticks to the face in NON CONTACT compared to none in contact.

I do agree with Daz comments that the Madness are easily good enough to play contact.

LETS REMEMBER WE WEAR A LOT OF PADDING, IT DONT HURT!!!!
warren
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference for me playing non-checking is my ability. I am sure for 95% of games there would be no difference in us playing checking or non-checking (not non-contact) but its that one game where it steps up and I am simply not aware enough on the ice to take the hit.

There you go - a decision everyone has to make but with a roster of 40 people there is obviously a 'market' for it.

I would agree that non-checking games are more sticky but I think thats because its played by newer teams/players who tend to skate round with the sticks up (accidentally, lack of awareness)

Maybe if the ice is free on the 17th we can get something arranged late notice Very Happy
Doug
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like American football - so guess what, I dont watch it. If people do like it then fine, I hope they enjoy it.

Madness were getting some large crowds last summer, and people were seeming to enjoy the games, so a couple of people who 'dont do non checking hockey' wont make a difference.

Although it does not take huge amounts of ability to join a rec team, it takes huge amounts of ?alls to play in front of 100+ people, so if any of those who think its girly playing non checking, then come and have a go. Hockey is not just about writing on a forum!!

(Warren - you are good enough, but you chose not to-there is a difference)
ddcdj
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Can we put it under a knights folder as all the other invicta teams have one

Cheers
Dave T
Squad Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddcdj wrote:
Dave

Can we put it under a knights folder as all the other invicta teams have one

Cheers

Darren - I've PM'd a reply to you

Purchase Dynamos, Mustangs & Juniors Photo's online at - icyphotography.co.uk
rats
All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I think we have the british army at home on the 17th mate.

regards

Neil
ddcdj
Squad Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no british Army are on the 24th no ice on the 17th as its all being redone
Daz
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock - it's my website and you're not commenting on my Team or i'll close it!!! (Beginning to sound like an Official of the EIHA!)

Warren, the situation you explain is the same for us all - no-one is prepared for that 5%, ie the one time you're caught with your head down! You as a Player are good enough to play contact. No offence to Chris Robins, but he's not the best player in Rec Hockey, yet plays it week in, week out. I haven't seen him get hammered yet.... At this level, Players tend to hit the Superstars, or the Player thats just hit them. I would hope you guys are being taught how to give a hit, and take a hit properly by your Coach, whether playing Contact or Non-Contact - on the Ice, you should be ready for any situation!

I think mid-night Training on a Saturday may go some way to explaining why the Madness get more new Players than the Knights. Even before the Madness were formed, we never had a a large number wishing to join, and I've had plenty of people say "no thanks" to our training / game slot.

The Marauders as a Team were not as skilled as Peterborough, Basingstoke, Cardiff, I.O.W., Swindon, Humberside (Hull), Whitley, Durham and co. But it was the physical side which made us successful! (As proved against Whitley at Nottingham, when they thought they were gonna beat the crap out the "southern softies".... boy did they learn!!) I don't mean just fighting, but skating hard and getting in on the forecheck, forcing the turnovers, won us games. All these other Teams were full of Senior Players / GB Internationals, but didn't play with the same tenacity and will to win. We finished top or second for years - more successful than our Senior Side.

It's your choice, and you guys choose Non-contact - I fully respect that. It's just a shame because your skill levels there, and if you played more physical I think you would win a lot more games. Thats just my opinion.

I'm still waiting for the Marauders Reunion Game!!! Cool
grant_w
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Marauders Reunion Game!!!

I would pay good money to see those sort of games again Twisted Evil
wraparound
Bench Warmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great comments by dazza, pretty covered everything i was gonna say,
but you left the goalies out! Very Happy
I think you should all ask your goalies if they like non-checking hockey,
i reckon over 95% of them will tell you they would rather play checking.
Trust me no goalie likes seeing an opposing player sk8 the length of the ice with the puck without getting the Rub or getting put on his butt at the blueline.
Howie, steve yzerman may well check me all over the ice but as i played in goal he"d only get loads of interference pens! Very Happy and maybe a blocker in the back of the head Very Happy
I think the main reason for him playin in the rec leagues now is that
he played 23years in the nhl when hockey a lot tougher than it is now, only missed the playoffs once when he played for the blackhawks and
retired coz his knees were in worse shape than bobby orrs back in 1976.
howie19
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wraparound, I'm fully aware of why Stevie Y plays Rec hockey now... it's not as if his career has been lacking in higlights. My point (which you seemd to have missed), was that non-checking hockey can be a) highly skillful and b) exciting.

With regards to other comments about Madness players learning/being taught how to hit/be hit... well, I think I speak for many in saying, that we volunteered for non-checking hockey (if that make me a whimp then fine and dandy, I must be Rolling Eyes ) but I have much more pressing issues to learn, such as the fundamentals of skating, passing and positional play. And thankfully, that's what our Coach spends his time concentrating on.

Merci beaucoup et a la prochaine. Wink
grant_w
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madness play NON-CHECKING
Knights play CHECKING

Its a personal choice. End of subject.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Hockey Central All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: