Whitley Bay going for titles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Hockey Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Whitley Bay going for titles! Reply with quote

For those that are interested, it looks as thought Whitley Bay maybe pushing hard for not only the Northern title, but perhaps the National title with the signing of ex GB player Simon Leach. A massive signing for an ENL club.
Article:

Leachback for title chase
Jan 16 2008 Evening Chronicle

WHITLEY Warriors have added experienced former Great Britain international Simon Leach to their squad as they attempt to close in on the English National League title.

Leach, 33, played for Whitley last season before heading off to a summer with the Australian outfit Adelaide Avalanche, but is now looking forward to resuming his Hillheads career.

“I needed a rest after playing for almost 12 months,” he admitted. “But having had that rest and time to think about what to do next, I have decided I can play a little while longer yet and am looking forward to helping Whitley try to lift some silverware again this season.”

Current player/coach Karl Culley is naturally pleased to add such experience to the Warriors’ bench at this vital time of the campaign.

“Simon is just about the most experienced player any coach could bring into his squad when you are chasing silverware. We are delighted he has returned to the Warriors,” he said.

“We have some huge games coming up over the next few weeks and having Simon’s presence in the team can only help us because he is such a talented player,” added Culley.

“Just having him around will inspire other players as well and give our already very vocal support an extra reason to shout.”

The Warriors are at home to North East rivals Billingham Bombers in an English National League game on Sunday night (face-off 6.30pm), having beaten them 5-2 on Teesside last weekend to stay top of the table.

And with no Elite League games this weekend, Hillheads should have its biggest gate of the season for a match sponsored by the North East Ice Hockey Forum.
Don C
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitley does indeed appear to a club on the rise again and they are a good bet for top spot in the North.
Teams in the North play more games than those in the south and benefit especially from the (additional) Northern League fixtures.
There are fewer weaker teams and therefore fewer "blow-outs" giving the coaches more opportunity to fine tune their special teams and general play.
So, if it`s Whitley, and if the Mo`s make the finals, we can look forward to some good testing hockey.
Simon Leach will definitley be a great asset for Whitley. The folks up there seem very exciited about it all and it seems the crowds are flocking back.
BTW, No nods or winks about yet , mmmmm - restraint ? maybe !!!!!!!!!
Uncle Don
Islanders Manager
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THey do get to play good teams most of the year. Sheffield, Newcastle, Blackburn, Flintshire, Nottingham all tough teams and very capable. THat does give them an advantage over us Southern guys and that is something I hope is addressed next year. Then they have the extra fixtures so get more time on the ice!
Islanders Manager
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good for the Lions then! Will be nice local Derby for the ENL championship against the Islanders Laughing
Bazza
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they bought him into the squad a bit late. Whether they get top spot or not depends on Nottingham making a mistake rather than Whitley winning!! Still, they can win the Northern Play-offs maybe and get to play the Mo's in the Play-off final!!
Islanders Manager
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to play Invicta twice in the cup ...Twice in the league championship (if they win it) and twice in the play offs! Should be good games all of them!
howie19
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if these games are anything like the Invicta/Bracknell game we had last month, then they should be sensational. That game was the best game I've ever seen at the Ice Bowl in my very short time of watching the Mo's, so I hope P'Boro are as up for is as Bracknell were and we can all sit back and thoroughly enjoy the contest! Laughing
Islanders Manager
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islanders are always up for it! lol
Crackers
All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islanders Manager wrote:
Islanders are always up for it! lol

Cracking games they should be. I did think that peterboro were slight favourites, but with the addition of Tomas I have changed my opinion. Not to put too much pressure on the guy, but I think he will be a standout player in the league and we may just have too much now. But certainly no blow outs by either team and the three separate series will be great to watch. May even make the trip to Boro for these! Just a shame they are only one home one away rather than best of five or seven. I am being greedy now!
howie19
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackers wrote:
I am being greedy now!

No satisfying some people hey?!?! Laughing

Watch out, otherwise the EIHA will see you like this match up and arrange it so that it never happens again!! Wink
quoththeraven
Squad Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing Leach was the sort of move that could have gone either way. I can't imagine for a second that once he's settled in again they'll be a pushover.

As for Islanders v Mos, I am one of the aforementioned exiled Dynamos fans, but for some reason these days my loyalties lie elsewhere. If Pucky can give me a lift to one a Pboro v Invicta game, I will be there and will not be hard to identify, unless you're Kev Parrish, who thought someone else was me a little while ago. Us exiled objective critics, we all look the same Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Invicta Dynamos Forum Forum Index -> Hockey Central All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: